Find us on
University term time only
6pm - 8am
6pm - midnight
6pm - 8am
We aim to reply within
email@example.com and we'll reply within a week.
If you've used us before we'd appreciate it if you could fill in this anonymous survey.
We operate Nightline with the following guiding principles and aims:
- Non-Judgmental and Non-Directive: You can contact Nightline about anything, without fear of being judged or told what to do.
- Confidential: All contact with Nightline is confidential within the organisation, subject to our confidentiality policy.
- Anonymous: The service is anonymous. We will not endeavour to identify any of its users.
- Open Nightly: We aim to be open from 6pm - 8am every night of University of Birmingham term.
Would you like to talk things through with someone?
Our phone lines are open from 6pm until 8am, every night of term. You can talk to us about anything and for as long as you want.
Calls are free from halls phones and landlines.
How to call:
From an external phone dial the Nightline telephone number found on the my.bham home page.
From a halls phone, simply dial 7999
Prefer to sit down and talk to someone in person?
Our drop-in service runs from 6pm until midnight, every night of term. You can come in and talk to one of us in the privacy of our drop-in room. We can even call you a taxi to get you home safely.
How to find us:
Our drop-in area is located at St Francis Hall, between the Guild of Students and Edgbaston Park Road. To let us know you're here, find the large wooden door next to the Nightline sign and ring the doorbell.
Do you feel more comfortable writing in an online chat than talking over the phone?
We now offer a dedicated online chat service, which is available from 6am until 8am, every night of term.
How to start a chat:
Login to your MyBham/Aston account and follow the link to Nightline Instant Messenging, which is located on the 'Main' tab. This is to verify that you are a student and is not used to identify you.
Find it easier to take your time to write things out?
Our email service operates in exactly the same way as our other services, but over a longer time period. Within term time, every email will be replied to within 48 hours. We will often be able to reply more quickly than this, but we allow 48 hours to ensure that this promise will be kept.
Moving in weekend
15th - 16th September
Bilby and some friendly Nightliners will be around to help all you lovely freshers move into your flats. And you might get a free pen out of it too!
12th - 14th and 19th - 22nd October
If you're interested in training as a Nightliner we will be having information events on 27th September, 3rd October and 9th October.
If you'd like to take part, you can submit your Campus Whisper in a number of ways:
- Post your Campus Whisper to us at
Nightline, The Guild of Students
Edgbaston Park Road
- Post your Campus Whisper in the iLounge in the Main Library there is a permanent Campus Whispers post box
- During Nightline Awareness Week look out for even more Campus Whispers post boxes around campus
Once qualified, Nightliners are asked to do three shifts a term. These are flexible though and can be worked around other commitments.
There are many benefits to becoming a Nightliner:
- Our meetings and socials are great places to meet new people.
- You will receive excellent training in listening and support skills.
- Shifts are a great way to rack up volunteering hours through the Guild's 'Involve' scheme.
If you would like to find out more about joining, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
12th - 14th October
19th - 22nd October
Nightline's services are confidential within the organisation subject to our confidentiality policy, which can be viewed herea>.